Re: OpenERP CMS: How is server separation implemented?

This whole discussion - about a webstore development, that  has not even been properly launched yet, has been very interesting - it shows:

1) The release of the webstore module has clearly led opened up existing concerns about security. According to fabien's comment

> On my side: I should release something so great that there will be no discussion anymore. (including on the security layer)

it seems that these points have been accepted and will lead to some changes.

2) Comments about the practical performance of the OpenERP website/CMS and concerns that it may slow down everything else that one is doing with the ERP system are perhaps a little premature.

3) Knocking the performance of other cart systems, eg Magento, is not a good policy, even if the facts are true. It sounds too desperate and will naturally lead to the response that Magneto has X,Y and Z features that the openerp website doesn't. OpenERP webstore has the opportunity to change the paradigm and, as Fabien has already shown with the rich html quote demo, go further than traditional webstore have ever been able to. Getting into a shouting match with defenders of other webstores should be avoided  - but A) point to the connector based sync  (and provide a marketing page that describes the carts that OE can currently sync with) as a migration path for users of existing webcarts so that they can move incrementally onto OpenERP whilst B) continuing the development of the openERP webstore aggressively so more of the traditional objections get knocked down one-by-one, plus add innovative new features that draw users to the OpenERP integrated web platform.

4)

> You say that, but you don't know what's inside OpenERP eCommerce.

Indeed, the /teaser has been very effective. But it is perhaps reflective of a more general point - and this is where my newness to the platform is relevant - it is VERY difficult to get a clear idea of what OpenERP can do. One answer is 'everything' - but that doesn't help those new to the platform. In principle any computer platform can do 'everything' with sufficient customisation and programming - what decision makers need to be able to understand is :-

A) how much functionality comes straight out of the box,
B) how easy and clean does the UI seem to be to navigate for their staff,
C) does the platform seems logical or suggest that there are going to be expensive 'gotchas' that need programmers or consultants to explain
... and so on

The video explorations shown on the website/CMS teaser are just the right sort of presentation. They transmit the message that many competing products waste pages of text on. More importantly than that - they are many times more engaging that text for busy decision makers. It seems like the marketing content is moving in the right direction, but I would still say that it is still very difficult to navigate through all the documentation/launchpad and other resources to try and work out what the functionality of any of the system modules are.

Maybe I am missing something, but if I am it means it has not been sufficiently signposted, as, for example, I have spent hours on the openERP website trying to figure out if there is a way to attach simple courier tracking information to a sales order once it has been despatched. As a comparison - it took me a total of 5 minutes and $25 to find and buy such a module (http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=extension/extension/info&extension_id=2389) for opencart, plus a further 10 minutes to install it.

Kurt