Re: OpenERP CMS: How is server separation implemented?

2014/1/20 Kurt Haselwimmer <kurt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Just to summarise on opencart - many extensions cost very little to
> develop - perhaps only an hour or two of coding. But if it saves me an hour
> or more of my time then I am happy to spend $25 - or even $50 for that
> matter - and evidently, for some of the most popular extensions, many
> hundreds of people agree with me

I understand your point, but the amounts are out of level in your examples.

The "minimal" cost of a new resource around the countries i give services
"Paid as fixed salary" is far from 25 or 50 usd per hour, even we have
countries where a new developer "Who will expend +++2 hours in a simple
feature" can cost even more.

Then your example is easy to understand but the amount is out of real
levels then It is a little confusing, it should be great if it can be
analyzed in your side with more real numbers.

In the rest I support the Raphael explanation in this case, you need to be
care abaut mix business models and the capitalism is hurting us now....

Then talking about "Capitalism Numbers" we have to understand several
things.

Develop a feature which is relevant and clear need for customers like i.e:
"WYSWYG" on v8 took A LOT of time maybe hundred or thousand of hours,
maintain and left clear of bugs some other Hundred of Hours, BUT "Who is
open to pay for it the total amount?", Is it feasible take 25 per
download?, Can you pay 1000 per download?, then this kind of "Cool"
features are not feasible to achieve with your example in the AGPL/OpenERP
world.

But let me give you other example: The specific sale process for a
customer, this feature is necessary, mandatory and will help to save
"Thousand of dollars" to these customer, may be it is really easy 3 or 4
hours let say, but this feature without the WYSWYG maybe (just
theoretically speaking)  can not work...... Then what you will pay for, for
the WYSWYG or the SALE PROCESS?.

THen, with this 2 examples no there are any way around to analyze
separatelly you must see the "System" as a hole spectrum and it is called
"Enterprise licence + Professional Services" and/or (option 2) "SaaS offer
+ Support package".

And it is what OpenERP Business model offer, How do you make money?:

Simple: 1.- Your Own SaaS. 2.- Giving Support. 3.- Giving Plain Cost
Services (your own enterprise) but in all cases, part of this money needs
to be fear enought "Include OpenERP".

And always take for you an statement: "How much money I am saving with my
system", If you are not saving more than what you are expending "Don't use
it" and if you are saving the same or more... Use it, hack it and
contribute ;-)

All the tests are open for everybody, it is really difficult to hide, see
the business model behind Drupal, Magento, Prestashop and so on..... We
need something stable and fear enought and IMHO OpenERP business model is
the best too in the market (not perfect) but by far the best ;-) not in
terms of profitability - in terms of "Posibilities"

Note: My english su.c...s I hope i was able to show my point.
regards

We as community
Best Regards.

--