openstack-qa-team team mailing list archive

Re: Tempest Gating

On 09/07/2012 08:13 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
> DW> We also have a different problem with running tests in parallel
> DW> now. None of the newly designed basic/advanced ops test can be run
> DW> in parallel given their dependency between tests. The only way I can
> DW> think of to proceed would be to rework the nose plugin to run test
> DW> classes in parallel, but tests within the classes in serial. I'll
> DW> poke around this weekend to see what's possible.  Daryl
>
> Running tempest tests in parallel is definitely a good goal to
> have. However, I believe that all the tests run in a gate are done
> sequentially right now, correct? Seems like if we kicked off tempest at
> the same time as the regular gate stuff, much of their execution would
> overlap. I'm not sure if the current CI stuff does any parallel jobs
> like that, but I think it shouldn't be too hard to do and would help
> with the latency-to-merge issue.

Part of the problem is that the CI system runs Tempest on the same CI
node as the OpenStack environment that devstack installs. If we could
run multiple Tempest workers that each fired a subset of the full
tempest run against a CI node, that would solve the parallel problem.
But unfortunately, that's just not how Jenkins works :(

-jay