Re: I18n issue for OpenStack

A good idea to separate into two parts, however I fear that the current English strings don't serve the first role as well as first appears. This has to do with the pre-processing we do on error strings to make more accurate searches and error report titles.

A quick, very artificial example:

"Unable to get service info: Malformed request url"

As English speakers, we can look at this and see that "Unable to get service info" is what happened, and "Malformed request url" is why.

So, knowing that there are probably many possible reasons for 'why' we were "Unable to get service info", we might chop this part out of our search term, or when we ask for help - and indeed you can see an example of this in a title here: https://answers.launchpad.net/horizon/+question/190188

In other languages sometimes the sentence order is much different. For example, in Chinese, that error could be written something like:

因为错误格式的请求URL所以无法获得服务信息

As a Chinese speaker, you know what this says and you can work out the 'why' and the 'what' in your search term.

As a non-Chinese speaker, you're stuck putting the whole thing into your search engine and hoping that no-one chopped off or changed the structural elements of the sentence such as 因为 and 所以.

So, perhaps the part that can be used for searches and bug reports really does need to be 'locale-independent'. Complex system of impossible to understand error numbers, anyone? ;)

Regards,

Tom