sloecode-dev team mailing list archive

Re: error when trying my first push or branch

On 09/01/12 20:19, Thomi Richards wrote:
>     Anyway, I have altered the Python snippet from your mail to point at a
>     different server:
>
>     >>> s = xmlrpclib.Server('http://localhost/sc/xmlrpc')
>     >>> s.getKeysForUser('admin')
>     {'admin': []}
>
>     And bang, it seems to work!!!
>
> Great - sorry for forgetting to alter the snippet!

Just figured out that this was working through the reverse proxy. Still,
a step in the right direction.

>     This seems to me as if we need to take at least one of these actions:
>
>     * Add a reverse proxy rule to my Apache mod_wsgi configuration to fix
>      the /xmlrpc/ rooting requests to /sc/xmlrpc/
>
> I don't understand why you need this (although I've never attempted to
> run sloecode behind a reverse proxy). The XMLRPC endpoint the smart
> server uses is configurable in the .ini file - why not just point it at
> the correct URL? Nothing outside the smart server needs access to that
> service.

Well, to not have to fiddle with URL rewriting in *content*, the reverse
proxy only redirects the requests. To accomplish that, all WSGI content
of the Sloecode site is prefixed with a path fragment "/sc" in my
deployment. This configuration is purely located in the mod_wsgi
configuration (sites-available or sites-enabled respectively in
Debian/Ubuntu setups). The Sloecode instance handles all that in itself
properly. As the XML-RPC is served through the same WSGI instance, it
also needs to use that altered path. So I must also tell the
production.ini of this change as well.

>     * Enhance the URL mapping capabilities inside Sloecode so that the
>      *Python* code (not just the HTML templates and CSS) will work cleanly
>      with different deployment scenarios.
>
> This should work, although perhaps with a bit of configuration tweaking.
> The reverse proxy thing may be an issue, but it's well supported by
> pylons, so it should be a reasonably simple matter to get it going.

Doesn't seem necessary. See below.

>     * Reconfigure the xmlrpc_auth_endpoint in production.ini
>
> Yes, see above.
>
>     I've tried *just* the last one, but it doesn't seem sufficient.
>
> How so? You're still having problems?

Yes, as the web site deployment is purely governed by the WSGI
configuration in the Apache web server, I completely forgot that other
parts are relying on the production.ini configuration file. So, bringing
production.ini in sync with the WSGI deployed configuration then worked
like a charm. Also, by pointing the production.ini stuff at the
*internal* Sloecode port (8001), rather than the reverse proxied
external port (80) has eliminated now one level of redirection, and the
XML-RPC now "hits" the Sloecode server directly.

I'm pushing something onto Sloecode for a test right now, and it's
worked. Yaaaay!

Guy

--
Guy K. Kloss
School of Computing + Mathematical Sciences