software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: gtk3 as default?!

Kiwinote wrote on 20/08/11 12:37:
> Things to keep in mind are amongst others:
> - a11y will presumably need fixing

Yeah, I've encountered quite a few accessibility bugs, and I haven't
even tried with a screenreader yet.

*   Scrolling list view with the keyboard doesn't work
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/830258>

*   "Go Back" and "Go Forward" keyboard equivalents don't work
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/830238>

*   Selected item isn't remembered when returning Back/Forward to list
    view <http://launchpad.net/bugs/828913>

*   Ctrl W doesn't close the window <http://launchpad.net/bugs/828233>

And a couple of bad ones that also affect the GTK2 UI:

*   Can't scroll lobby, department, or software item screens with the
    keyboard <http://launchpad.net/bugs/635994>

*   In "History" screen, Left, Right, and Space keys don't work
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/828680>

But none of those require adding or changing strings, or altering the
visual appearance, so they can be fixed after UI Freeze.

> - rtl seems to work fairly nicely, could probably use a check every
> now and then

It's on my list of things to test.

> - performance isn't stunning (ie loading and switching panes)- having
> said that, it isn't significantly slow either, so that's something we
> can work on next cycle with a lot of help from the new db backend (if
> I manage to finish it nicely)

When the GTK2 UI launches, it shows a spinner in the main pane until
it's ready. Could we have that for the GTK3 UI as well?

> - I'm not sure what the plan is for oneconf atm - there is an
> interface implemented against s-c-gtk2, but that hasn't had any
> testing as there isn't a server yet (afaik?), so I'm not sure whether
> that's something that needs to be rewritten for gtk3 or if that's a
> 'next cycle' thing, again :/

I haven't heard from Didier since I published my proposal for how
OneConf could fit in the new design. So I'd be surprised if it happened
for 5.0. <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter#oneconf>

> - details view needs theming, and it would be nice to make the theming
> of the lobby vs lists vs details slightly more consistent, ie atm it's
> kind of orange semi-busy vs white minimalistic vs greyscale

I'll be reporting bugs on that today.

Overall, though, I agree with the others that the GTK3 interface looks
on track to be solid by October.

- --
mpt