Re: Nvidia/Intel switching and energy saving

On Mi, 17 Jun 2009, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> ... and you can always switch speed/stamina via sysfs. no need for additional
> modules.

Thanks Matthias,

I can confirm that using this switch-graphics /etc/init.d script:
#!/bin/sh
lspci | grep "00:02.0"
# if we find the Intel chipset, use Intel drivers & settings
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        logger "Setting graphics card to INTEL"
        cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.INTEL /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        ln -sf /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.INTEL /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
        ln -sf /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.INTEL
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
        echo stamina > /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina
else
        # otherwise use nVidia drivers & settings
        logger "Setting graphics card to NVIDIA"
        cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.NVIDIA /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        ln -sf /usr/lib/libGL.so.185.18.14 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
        ln -sf /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.185.18.14
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
        echo speed > /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina
fi

together with loading sony-laptop originally with speed_stamina=3 makes
everything work as expected:
- intel and nvidia can be selected with hardware switch when laptop is
  turned off
- energy usage is down to low levels:
  when I have gnome running, but all wireless modules turned off with
  rfkill switches and running only powertop with all suggestions I come
  down to
	~10W with Intel card
	~12W with nVidia card
  That is *very* fine.

Thanks a lot!!!

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx>        Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@xxxxxxxxxx>                         Debian TeX Group
CORFU (n.)
The dullest person you met during the course of your holiday. Also the
only one who failed to understand that the exchanging of addresses at
the end of a holiday is merely a social ritual and is absolutely not
an invitation to phone you up and turn up unannounced on your doorstep
three months later.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff