Re: Unable to install grub or boot from Ubuntu on VPCZ11Z9E/B

On 30/03/10 18:20, Xavier Hallade wrote:
> I don't think a LVM will be more safe as raid0 in this case.

As I said, there will still be some difficulty in recovering data, but
it is possible, and the data on the non-failed disk will remain intact,
unless there is significant fragmentation.  As I suggested though, the
best option is RAID10 (or RAID5), or easier - just treat the disks as
individual volumes.

> The two or four drives are on the same circuit so I can't see how a
> single drive could fail.

Because drives... fail??  Not all drives are created equal.  And I have
no idea what you mean by 'same circuit', or how this affects drive
reliability.

> If there is a problem on that proprietary ssd, no matter the raid,
> everything will be lost.

Huh?  That's what parity RAID is about - allowing for single or multiple
drive failure without loss of data or uptime.

Pete.