Re: sony_laptop

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Xavier Hallade <xh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have quite the same power consumption using directly the nvidia.
> I tried to boot EFI application in order to access bios too. I managed to
> display the grub_rescue prompt one time, booting from an usb key after
> having disconnected the hdd and optical drive, but I had an error about the
> filesystem.

I couldn't get the EFI application to be picked up at all, with any of
quite a number of USB keys and no hard drive (my machine has no
optical drive).  But maybe I missed something.  It's perhaps no bad
thing anyway; better to use the stock firmware if it can be done.

> I've tried 2.6.34-rc3 and 2.6.34-rc3-git5 on debian but it doesn't work for
> me. I have a kernel panic with i915.modeset=0 and a black screen + system
> freeze otherwise. Did you made secial edits to the .config ? I have taken
> mine from debian 2.6.33 and only activate vga_switcheroo.

Mm, I had thought it was just a "fixed" kernel version; apparently I
must have been lucky.  I just based it on the default Arch Linux
config.  You can find it here:
http://all-day-breakfast.com/m/config-20100407.gz -- I'd be interested
in knowing if you manage to spot any difference that actually makes a
difference.

Chris