Re: A Website for StartUbuntu Project

Please, just think about this. Your smart - do a CBA . Wiki page - low
traffic, unable to promote it, subject to another service running. Website
- high traffic, greater promotability (for only a few dollars, you can have
it more likely to show up on a google search) - aka more likely to show up.
If you just use it to portal into a wiki, then that website won't get as
much traffic, and hence people won't see it as much (ubuntu wiki pages are
reluctant to show up on normal google searches, while a website could
easily do that). Therefore, a website is more important - if it gets enough
traffic, it will promote itself and work well. A wiki could not hope to
equal the traffic.

Secondly, there is a rule in programming - spread everything out. If you
need to run a website, you should have the database on one server and the
website on another. Equally, letting one person host it - aka the ubuntu
wiki, is potentially dangerous - if they decide to scrap the wiki, then we
are scrapped as well. If they are subject to a DDOS attack, then we are
attacked as well. If for some reason they delete it, then our work is
wasted. Now, if we use are own servers, we can firstly load balacne - we
can serve it from any of the five people willing to host. Secondly, we can
spread out - one person could host the databases, and the others load
balance the website. So, even if we are subject to an attack or a a
blackout, we still have servers running. Also, we can take backups to
revert to if everything is deleted.

I know you don't trust me on this, but believe me, a website is crucial -
if you really wanna get traction on this project, then you need a good
solid website to run it. A wiki page won't be able to do it - low
searchability. Also, one more thing - Ubuntu's servers are more suited for
large file transfers to large numbers of people - mostly downloads of the
OS, which are around half a gig to a gig. That requires a particular
configuration (something like holding the stream open). Websites usually
send a few kb at a max, and require a quick on and off. Hence, the wiki
page is fine for a small number of users, but a rubbish beowulf cluster
could do better at hosting a website for this. So, please, just trust me on
this one - the wiki is only useful as the beginning to coordinate while we
set up, but please don't think about using it as a base from which to work
from.