Re: Testing ToriOS Pre-Alpha

On 06/08/2014 11:15 AM, Ali Linx wrote:

> On 06/08/2014 07:46 PM, Ali Linx wrote:

>>> Hi

>>> Actually there is some testing you can do.
>>>  From Nio:
>>> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B46yhFQuJvfPZzZ6aThReldScWs&usp=sharing
>>>

>>> You can test the current ISOs in Virtual Box.  Test it and see if
>>> everything is clear to follow the install process.  Test if you can run
>>> it easily in low memory.  I installed it in 512 RAM with a 7 Gig HD
>>> just
>>> fine.
>>> I am sure there is much that can be tested but you should install menu
>>> to have more of a usable experience.
>>> sudo apt-get install menu
>>>
>>> Though menu isn't quite my favorite thing... and this will need to be
>>> improved upon.
>>>

>>> These are EARLY pre-alpha images, so things will be missing and
>>> incomplete and not beautiful, but there are aspects that will give
>>> you a
>>> good idea what is currently happening, and all that.

Hi Ali,

> Hi,
>
> @Jorn and Nio
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do need some instructions ASAP in order to spread the word by
>> creating a post on our news section.
>>
>> Please do provide that ASAP and keep it as simple and short as
>> possible :)
>
> I have published this:
> http://torios.org/news/torios-pre-alpha-is-coming-very-soon/
>
> Now, I'm waiting for short and simple instructions and/or details to
> test the Pre-Alpha ISO of ToriOS :)

This is not for public testing.  Simply download the ISO file (or
both).  Open Virtual Box, and make a new Ubuntu machine, make the ISO
file the IDE device as well as Live CD, and install.
Then remove the ISO as the IDE device and test.
It is a very standard setup in Virtual Box.  If you have used Virtual
Box before, then this is very simple to try.  If you haven't I can maybe
upload a VM that you can try, though I'd like to tweak it so it seems
more like ToriOS first.
I have been tweaking JWM on my running system to get a theme similar to
the Website.  (same colors, etc..)

We do need to choose some art related things somewhat soon (Icon theme,
fonts, colors, etc...)  JWM is rather particular about the way the icons
are searched out, and used (no SVG)