Re: [Important] ToriOS 32 vs ToriOS 64

Hi Everyone!
(inline replies)

On 08/12/2014 06:36 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2014-08-12 23:38, Israel skrev:
>> Hi all,
>> (inline  and removed a lot of text)
>> On 08/12/2014 04:25 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>> [replying inline]
>>> Best regards/Nio
>>>
>>> If the internet connection is bad, it is also bad to download the iso
>>> file / image file. Would it be possible to distribute a DVD with
>>> packages? Who and how many people would want it?
>> I mean simply that some people do not have internet all the time.
>> They may want to download everything on one day, and then they are stuck
>> with our documentation and our programs.
>>
>> This may not be common, but since the computers we target are older, I'd
>> like to have the possibility of targeting limited access to internet for
>> those use cases (since Ali has talked about making a fuller version with
>> other packages)
> Yes, I see.

>>> The standard OBI boots from USB (normally) but can boot from any mass
>>> storage device, also from an internal HDD (or virtual disk).
>>> KVM-VirtManager can boot from USB, VirtualBox can boot from a (second)
>>> virtual disk.
>>>
>>> But we can make an OBI-9w installer, which can boot also from CD, so
>>> that it can be booted from the iso file by 'any' virtual machine program.
>> Right... this is what we are going for isn't it... but can OBI work on a CD?
>> This is (I think) an issue to address, since OBI clones and image, and
>> doesn't install the live version, right... so the size is increased by
>> 300MB or so?  Is this right?
> The OBI-9w ToriOS iso file works from CD (is within CD size). The 9w
> bare-bone size is approx. 200 MB, so there are approx. 500 MB for the
> tarball to stay within CD size. This size limit is no problem with the
> kind of very stripped down version we discuss.
>
> I might be able to strip the bare-bone size down to 100 MB without a
> graphical desktop (and the OBI works in text mode).
>
> A version with a lot of application programs will exceed CD size, which
> is no problem, if the installer can be booted from DVD or USB. A regular
> iso file with ubiquity can contain more application programs within CD
> size (than the OBI).
Great!  I like the idea of a live system, and an installer that works on
such an old computer!!
But the requirement of a CD size is the main one :)

The 'desktop' version could be a DVD size.

The core system will be fairly small.... I'll look at a test machine I
have and let you know the rough estimate.
I suppose the 64 bit version could simply use Ubiquity, as 64bit systems
*should* have 4Gig of RAM... which is plenty for Ubiquity.