Re: [Feedback] ToriOS 25102014 build - LiveCD

Hi everyone,

On 11/03/2014 12:24 AM, Israel wrote:
On 11/02/2014 01:47 AM, Ali Linx wrote:
Hi all,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfc64j7wy2ygow0/ToriOS-alpha.iso?dl=0
MD5SUM: 8c525b2d5fa7972e1dfbd4541c0f2fbe

This Feedback is about running ToriOS LiveCD:

-----------
LiveCD
-----------
(1) When I click on the time and date, a pop up small window shows up
with clock. Can we change that? I don't find this useful at all. Is it
possible to see a calender for example? just like other systems?

Yes I have been meaning to change it from xclock to
zenity --calendar

Okay, that is good to know :)
(2)  I liked the menu :) it only shows the available categories and
apps :) much better. I wonder if we add an application later, will
that be added? let's try this.

It should... as long as 'update-menus' is run it will update the menu :)

Could not test that at all due to the fact that the default password simply does not work after installing the system. Can't remember if I tested it on the LiveCD or not?

(3) Menu > Network > Mail Client = does not work.
And, we do not need a mail client neither with the LiveCD nor the
installed system. Remember, we are offering a base system so the user
can start to build his/her own system.

the mail client is built into seamonkey.  it should not be on the
LiveCD... sorry :P

Yes, I noticed it comes with Seamonkey and yes, it shouldn't show up on the LiveCD. I guess it will be visible 'after' installing the system. Yes, just checked the installed system. It is there, it works when I click on it. It took however sometime to show up. I noticed this by the way with some apps. Oh, right, that is because I am using 256MB RAM hehe

(4) Links 2 does not show pictures - I tested www.torios.org

it shows images, but not svg... I am not entirely sure how to configure
links2 to show that as well

Well, it is an option for super old machines so those who will complain, should think wisely and choose their words carefully :D

(5) Memory usage on the idle desktop with htop opened: 68MB

(6) When I do: Menu > Network > Wicd Network Manager: it takes 78MB so
+10MB more.

78MB after installing the system on an idle desktop.
1MB from SWAP.

As per htop.

(7) I don't like Bitmap and I'd vote to remove it. Not sure though
which alternative we should use?!

bitmap is included with xload (the cpu monitor) xcalc xman xedit xmag
etc... they are simple lightweight apps ALL bundled in X11-apps.... you
also have a program called xeyes and a few others....

I don't really think we should at least show that .. I don't really know but It is useless (to me) and I can't use it anyway. I wonder if someone else will find it useful? while it is true we are building a super slim system with super lightweight apps, I think displaying images by default is important. We need to give that another careful thought.

(8) I don't know why I can not install Synaptic from the terminal and
I don't know why it is not included on the LiveCD?

why would synaptic be installed on a LiveCD?  A CD is read-only so you
wont be able to install anything.

No. Not really. When you are on say Ubuntu GNOME Live Session (same goes to any flavor of Ubuntu), you can install anything if you want to test that. Are we planning to make ToriOS an exception? if yes, then what if someone wishes to fix his/her machine with a ToriOS LiveCD? how could he/she do that without installing some kind of application to do that?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

For example!

(9) I can't install any application from terminal: I always get:

Reading package lists ... error!
E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
E: Can't mmap any empty file
E: Failed to truncate file - ftruncate (9: Bad file descriptor)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Yes, this is from the LiveCD.

CD = read ONLY :)  you cannot install to a CD... sorry

Please see the above comment ^^

(10) GParted worked.

yes... I hacked it on the liveCD to not use pkexec... as adding all that
other stuff in makes it bigger and use more memory

It is very important for GParted to work from the LiveCD.

(11) Menu > System > Startup Program, Desktop Settings, Font Settings,
Icon Settings, Keyboard Settings, Mouse Settings, Panel Settings and
Window Settings = don't work
hmm... that is odd...

It was very odd indeed.

Theme Settings = works

JWM Settings Manager = works

And, if I try to launch all the above tools/programs from "JMW
Settings Manager" ... they don't work as well. Only Theme Settings.

Wait ...

I chose a theme: GNOME 2 Light Theme and the desktop and the panel
disappeared.
Had to reboot.

When I rebooted and logged in again to the Live Session, all the above
tools worked. I couldn't get them to start before, now, I can. I will
try to re-produce that bug/behavior.

weird.

Very. From your reply, I can guess you failed to produce that bug, right?

(12) I can't open files on the LiveCD: whether these files are pdf,
images, text ... I just can't open these nor I can see any option on
the menu to 'Open' a file :( this is not new. I have experienced that
before with the previous builds.

Is this in the file manager?   Rox is a strange file manager... you can
open them by simply clicking on them.  Or if they are scripts you can
open them by choosing 'open as text'

If the file manager is the tool that is handling this function (opening a file) then it failed to open anything.

You can assign programs for Rox to use for certain things....  and I
have tried to automate that for certain things...

It should work by default. Opening something should work if the application available. If you are opening say a pdf file and you have a pdf reader, it should work. In my case, it did not.

(13) Is there another power manager rather than xfce power manager?
just asking .. not that there is something against xfce but just
wondering. If there is a lighter manager maybe?

there are ways to manage the power without using that program.  However
I do not have the time (or will right now) to go about
compiling/packaging making a PPA for any more programs...  If anyone has
the time to do this let me know :)
otherwise it will have to wait, as I have too much going on in real life.

Okay, we can wait for that.
You have mentioned a valid point in the past. The power manager is not really needed on a desktop but it is on a laptop. Let's see how things will go with Beta when it is time for Beta to be released.

(14) I clicked "reload desktop" and RAM usage is 62MB now.

(15) Auto-Start programs when I tried to run it, it crashed the
desktop so the wallpapes disappeared and got blank and black
wallpaper. Reload the desktop fixed it.

(16) From JWM Manager, I chose Panel and when I did, the desktop
crashed again and everything was keep restarting or flashing .. the
wallpaper, the panel and the two running windows (htop window and
Setting Manager window) and after 1-2 mins, it became stable again. I
repeated the previous step twice and got the same behavior. I can see
it is restarting the power manager, the volume, the network, etc and
it is fast but not very so I still can read what is going on. Not sure
what is going on?! okay, tried that for the 3rd time and now,
everything is frozen including the mouse cursor. I need to reboot the
VM now.

That is really odd.
I have not experienced this issue... so I will have to figure out what
is wrong.
If you can reproduce this on the installed system please let me know.

Okay, I will try to produce that on an installed system but we should always pay attention to the LiveCD.

In your case, what is the size of RAM you're using on your tests? real hardware or virtual?

In my case, Oracle VB and 256MB RAM.

Okay, VM rebooted and it seems something has crashed yet again (Menu >
JWM Manager > Panel).

(17) I decided to stop playing with the Live CD and install the system.
I chose the advanced way in OBI and I chose the partitions manually.

System installed now.

That is my full report for the Live CD.

Is there anything else specific that I need to do? if yes, let me
know, please :)

DONE! can't wait to see Beta ;)

Suggestion:

(1) If Beta is out with as minimum bugs as possible, we might ask
people to install ToriOS on real hardware and if we failed to do that,
we could do that ourselves. If we can stay with Beta for 1-3 months,
with many using it, this is great way to improve the system and get
people involved. When they hear Alpha, they stay away. Beta should
make people more comfortable with a proper marketing ;) this will buy
some time for us.

sounds good

Glad you agreed :)

(2) I'd suggest starting from Beta to use Launchpad to report bugs
against ToriOS. This will be helpful for us and make us more open with
people. Also, it means we are serious and we are working professionally.

That will be easier when we have a Meta package.
You can of course report bugs against the settings manager in launchpad,
as that is where the bug tracking software is... or I suppose on github
if you like... as the code is also there.

Yes, but I am trying to hold two apples with the same hands. I am trying to show that we are serious and we do have bugs and it is there and anyone can see it. Also, it is a great way for us to remember and pay more attention to details. Not to mention, Ubuntu communities will find out there is a project called ToriOS ;)

I guess that is all for now ...

Thank you!

I know it took me a week to reply this email, but I also know I am not the only human on this earth who is busy with new different life.

I will send another report for the installed system.

--
Ali/amjjawad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad