Re: [Feedback] ToriOS 25102014 build - LiveCD

Hi again!

On 11/08/2014 07:09 PM, Ali Linx wrote:
>>> (2)  I liked the menu :) it only shows the available categories and
>>> apps :) much better. I wonder if we add an application later, will
>>> that be added? let's try this.
>>>
>> It should... as long as 'update-menus' is run it will update the menu :)
>
> Could not test that at all due to the fact that the default password
> simply does not work after installing the system. Can't remember if I
> tested it on the LiveCD or not?

What?  What do you mean the default password does not work?  I have
installed many things using the default username and password (torios)

Please explain this!

>>> (3) Menu > Network > Mail Client = does not work.
>>> And, we do not need a mail client neither with the LiveCD nor the
>>> installed system. Remember, we are offering a base system so the user
>>> can start to build his/her own system.
>>>
>> the mail client is built into seamonkey.  it should not be on the
>> LiveCD... sorry :P
>
> Yes, I noticed it comes with Seamonkey and yes, it shouldn't show up
> on the LiveCD. I guess it will be visible 'after' installing the
> system. Yes, just checked the installed system. It is there, it works
> when I click on it. It took however sometime to show up. I noticed
> this by the way with some apps. Oh, right, that is because I am using
> 256MB RAM hehe

Yeah... Seamonkey is slooooow, but it is about as fast as midori, and
doesn't crash on 128MB RAM....
Links2 is really fast.. and can be used from a terminal as well (like in
recovery mode)

>>> (4) Links 2 does not show pictures - I tested www.torios.org
>>>
>> it shows images, but not svg... I am not entirely sure how to configure
>> links2 to show that as well
>
> Well, it is an option for super old machines so those who will
> complain, should think wisely and choose their words carefully :D
> ..
>>>
>>> (7) I don't like Bitmap and I'd vote to remove it. Not sure though
>>> which alternative we should use?!
>>>
>> bitmap is included with xload (the cpu monitor) xcalc xman xedit xmag
>> etc... they are simple lightweight apps ALL bundled in X11-apps.... you
>> also have a program called xeyes and a few others....
>
> I don't really think we should at least show that .. I don't really
> know but It is useless (to me) and I can't use it anyway. I wonder if
> someone else will find it useful? while it is true we are building a
> super slim system with super lightweight apps, I think displaying
> images by default is important. We need to give that another careful
> thought.

I do need to make the imagemagick stuff show up (the image viewer program).
I will look into that... that is something I had kinda just forgotten
about... :)

If you don't like bitmap being displayed it can be removed.  It may be
more sane to have it once all the available art programs are displayed.
but then again maybe not :P

>>> (8) I don't know why I can not install Synaptic from the terminal and
>>> I don't know why it is not included on the LiveCD?
>>>
>> why would synaptic be installed on a LiveCD?  A CD is read-only so you
>> wont be able to install anything.
>
> No. Not really. When you are on say Ubuntu GNOME Live Session (same
> goes to any flavor of Ubuntu), you can install anything if you want to
> test that. Are we planning to make ToriOS an exception? if yes, then
> what if someone wishes to fix his/her machine with a ToriOS LiveCD?
> how could he/she do that without installing some kind of application
> to do that?
>
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
>
> For example!

Nio wrote an e-mail about persistence the other day.  We have a
read-only environment right now.
That said I already installed testdisk on the iso... I am fairly sure
your version has it... but it may be the version after.  It is only on
the live image, though... (I think).

>>> (12) I can't open files on the LiveCD: whether these files are pdf,
>>> images, text ... I just can't open these nor I can see any option on
>>> the menu to 'Open' a file :( this is not new. I have experienced that
>>> before with the previous builds.
>>>
>> Is this in the file manager?   Rox is a strange file manager... you can
>> open them by simply clicking on them.  Or if they are scripts you can
>> open them by choosing 'open as text'
>
> If the file manager is the tool that is handling this function
> (opening a file) then it failed to open anything.

Can you clarify this.  Are you trying to open them from the filemanager
window?
I am almost sure this is what you mean.

>> You can assign programs for Rox to use for certain things....  and I
>> have tried to automate that for certain things...
>
> It should work by default. Opening something should work if the
> application available. If you are opening say a pdf file and you have
> a pdf reader, it should work. In my case, it did not.

Right I need to manually assign the MIME TYPEs in Rox if this is what
you are talking about...

Maybe we should test with PCManFM to see how different the memory
consumption is.  PCMan may be the one to use to make things easy on me.
I want to make things easy for the users, but I want it to be very fast
as well.

Rox is very light and fast.  But it requires some extra steps to configure

>>> (13) Is there another power manager rather than xfce power manager?
>>> just asking .. not that there is something against xfce but just
>>> wondering. If there is a lighter manager maybe?
>>>
>> there are ways to manage the power without using that program.  However
>> I do not have the time (or will right now) to go about
>> compiling/packaging making a PPA for any more programs...  If anyone has
>> the time to do this let me know :)
>> otherwise it will have to wait, as I have too much going on in real
>> life.
>
> Okay, we can wait for that.
> You have mentioned a valid point in the past. The power manager is not
> really needed on a desktop but it is on a laptop. Let's see how things
> will go with Beta when it is time for Beta to be released.

We could make a LAPTOP image and a DESKTOP image I suppose.

> (2) I'd suggest starting from Beta to use Launchpad to report bugs
>>> against ToriOS. This will be helpful for us and make us more open with
>>> people. Also, it means we are serious and we are working
>>> professionally.
>>>
>> That will be easier when we have a Meta package.
>> You can of course report bugs against the settings manager in launchpad,
>> as that is where the bug tracking software is... or I suppose on github
>> if you like... as the code is also there.
>
> Yes, but I am trying to hold two apples with the same hands. I am
> trying to show that we are serious and we do have bugs and it is there
> and anyone can see it. Also, it is a great way for us to remember and
> pay more attention to details. Not to mention, Ubuntu communities will
> find out there is a project called ToriOS ;)

Ok, you can submit bugs against whatever you like and assign me to them :)
>>> I guess that is all for now ...
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>

> I know it took me a week to reply this email, but I also know I am not
> the only human on this earth who is busy with new different life.
>
> I will send another report for the installed system.

-Israel
ToriOS Team