Re: The Networking Issue

On 12/30/2014 02:18 PM, Israel wrote:
Hi Ali,

Hi Israel and thanks for your quick reply :)

On 12/29/2014 08:38 PM, Ali Linx wrote:
I'm thinking that .. maybe, just maybe .. the issue with the
networking is perhaps because there is a missing package?

We all know that ToriOS is based on Ubuntu Mini ISO and we all know
that the Mini ISO has no GUI whatsoever unless a human user do install
that him/her self.

Actually this is based off of a script that pulls in packages... It
might be based off of Mini, if we need to... the need for this has not
been show to exist yet (NetworkManager did not work in the Mini for the
same reason... whatever that is)
Not sure I understood that correctly. IIRC, Mini ISO has no network manager, at least GUI one.

In our case with ToriOS, we started to build the system from Mini ISO by adding the needed few packages we wanted.

IMHO, such issue as the network manager happens a lot in such cases. We sometimes forget to add some packages. I'm just thinking loudly that this might be the case. I might be wrong though.

That said, I tried to check - on Lubuntu 14.04 on Samsung Notebook
11'' ATOM CPU with 2GB RAM - by opening synaptic and typed : network
manager.

I found there are many packages installed.

I'm just wondering if we have installed the same packages or at least
the needed ones on ToriOS?

I think this may be the issue... but rather than a specific package that
is installed, I am fairly convinced that the issue is the session
missing a certain configuration.  NetworkManager (NM) possibly needs a
polkit rule, or something similar to this.

Something like:
policykit-desktop-privileges

?

The upstart script is
installed (the same ones) so, I think the normal session managers or
lightdm(?) pull something in that makes NM work correctly.

I think I understand what you mean.

Is it because we have no real DE installed?
Is it because of the login manager?
Both, perhaps?

Sorry if similar things are mentioned previously but I'm totally lost
because the chain of emails we are sending in this regard are very
confusing, this this [1] kind reminder has been sent.

No apology needed, this thought has been mentioned by me before, but now
I am getting closer to actually understanding what we need to do to
address this issue (possibly :P )

I really hope so as it seems one of the challenges that is keeping us away from Beta :)

Thank you!

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/torios/msg01464.html

Thank you for everything!

--