Re: Too early for ToriOS to change its path

On Sun, August 5, 2018 6:20 pm, Israel wrote:
> Does picaxo perform the same minimal functions that a program like
> lximage does?

picaxo is extremely minimal but very fast.  Should handle any image
formats that sdl_image does.  It does a few basic things like rotate an
image.  There are at least 2 or 3 FLTK based image viewers that would
probably be more on a par with lximage.  I remember viewers with EDE, Tiny
Core and nanolinux.

>>> 3. create FLTK versions of all the X11 apps (calc, text editor,
>>> etc...)
>> For calc, I like flcalc.
>>
> Do you have the source?  The link on fltk.org is dead :(

Seems to be back up.  Direct link is:
http://membres-timc.imag.fr/Yves.Usson/personnel/mysofts.html

I'll put together my build script and patches with the original source and
try to upload them to the link mentioned here  (
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/lmports.htm ) as soon as I have time to.  I'm
adding in a fix to flcalc to deal with some font issues for rendering pi
and epsilon which I just noticed while testing today.  Would it pay to add
libintl support and be able to internationalize the math related words on
the calculator keys or are they fairly understandable as is?

> If fldev have syntax highlighting I'd much rather include it than
> anything else.

Don't remember.  Georg's version (based on the original fldev) is here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldev/
I have the original code somewhere too.

Some interesting FLTK apps here including some basic editors:
https://github.com/spartrekus/

Also, flabc has some basic editing capabilities.

> I've played with some of those, like flvlc.

I like flxine as well.  I've used the original version, but someone's
worked on it and added features to a new version.

> I have looked at the source for some of their stuff before, like flburn.
> My main concern with most FLTK apps, is most do not look nice right out
> of the box.

I kind of like the look of the FLTK apps.  I personally like the Luna
Silver theme look from Windows and try to recreate it on various systems.
One of the reasons I like jwm is that it's much easier to get that kind of
theme look for the tops of windows than it is to do with Openbox.  Am
wondering if the FLTK apps would look better to you if you changed the
FLTK theme.  I've been using Dmitrij's oxy theme with a patched version of
FLTK.  Got tired of patching, so I submitting the patch to FLTK (for a
second time).  This time, it was just the basics for the oxy theme, but I
figured if we can just get it in to the official build, it can always be
improved on later.

> i specifically want it to handle most things common users expect in a
> modern OS, things like mtp/gvfs and handling the desktop (i.e. adding
> icons on the desktop, etc...), automatic volume mounting, and offering the
> choice of what to do (play the DVD/CD/open the Phone's SD card etc...)  If
> any of those handle that I am interested!

Sounds like all the things I don't use in a file manager, so I wouldn't
know which ones offered that or not.  For automatic mounting of USB, etc.,
I use usbmount which works with udev:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/usbmount  Added benefit is that
usbmount works just fine outside of X Windows if I'm working for the
command line only.

I think nanolinux adds icons via the window manager not the file manager.

>We use xpdf, but a nicer one would be good.

Are you using xpdf from the command line or is there a front-end or GUI
that you use with it?

>> At the moment, I'm working on a project that most people probably won't
>> be interested in.  Most distributions tend to prefer minimal changes to
>> Open
>> Source projects.  I prefer customizing code to provide whatever features
>> might need.
> That is what Libre software is for :)

That's so nice to hear!  So many people I talk to want everything working
out-of-the-box and don't want anything changed or customized.  They prefer
to make the least changes to upstream code possible.

Sincerely,
Laura Michaels