Re: Internationalization and localization of the web editor

On 2 April 2012 22:53, Janos Gyerik <info@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  * Is there a way in Python in which we can detect which ISO code is
>> the default language for the user's machine?
>
> Maybe the LANG env variable? For the web editor, browsers have
> preferred language setting and accepted languages setting, don't
> remember the names but I'm sure we can easily find it when we get
> there.

Yeah, I was curious how we can do this in the desktop client app for
Ubuntu Accomplishments too.

>>  * We will be storing the different translations as a sub-folder in
>> the accomplishments set (e.g. ~/accomplishments/ubuntu-community/fr/
>> and ~/accomplishments/ubuntu-community/de/) - is there a master list
>> of country codes we can use to know how to name these sub-folders?
>
> Yeah somebody please answer that...
>
> So the 2-letter won't cut it, because as Bruno pointed out Asturian
> doesn't have one, and we also need country variants like en_gb. So
> maybe 3-letter code + country variant, like:
> eng_gb
> eng_us
> hun_hu
> ast_es
> ?
>
> I wonder how Ubuntu sets the locale variables when using Asturian...

I am copying in David Planella who might be able to advise. See the
full thread of this conversation at
https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-accomplishments-contributors/msg00114.html
- thanks!

  Jono