Re: Target audience - was Global-isation

On 07/12/10 18:59, Barry Drake wrote:
On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 18:40 +0000, alan c wrote:
 They liked the speed, simplicity and trusted you, and Ubuntu
 (security, community).  I do not sense that for them, the wider (though important) concept of
 'freedom' was an issue?

No, you're right.  If anything, the 'cost' was a very negative issue for
them.  They expect to pay a lot of money for anything worthwhile.  I'm
trying to educate them into the Gnu ethos, but with not a lot of
success.  Meanwhile of course, they're going to talk about it to their
friends.  I think my sister and her partner are typical of folk who need
Ubuntu, but who thought they needed a new computer.  I think our best
market is folk out there who really believe they need a new computer and
might be prepared to give something else a try.  Especially in a
recession maybe?

Yes that certainly rings a bell. A dual booting friend of mine has a neighbour with a very slow vista PC. After talking, she wanted to try a ubuntu dual boot, and it has worked well, much faster. Now she still uses Windows but not very much. She is a grandparent, and her family and extended family also wanted to see it and want to try it too. At least in principle, try it ..... Trouble is, family life is pretty full and 'change' is necessarily time consuming. However, at least more people know of ubuntu and that it works!
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user