Re: Recommended results with empty searches

On 15 May 2014 13:37, Ricardo Kirkner <ricardo.kirkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Pawel Stolowski <
> pawel.stolowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  On 15.05.2014 12:04, James Tait wrote:
>>
>>  Thanks for picking this up, Fabian!
>>

>> On 15 May 2014 00:33, Alejandro J. Cura <alejandro.cura@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>>
>>> As I commented earlier, I think this should be part of the
>>> /api/v1/search endpoint, and that those results should be annotated
>>> with "related: true", or "category: related" if they belong to the
>>> recommendations.
>>> Otherwise we would have to do an extra http call to the server, and we
>>> are trying to avoid that to keep the scope responsive.
>>>

>>  ​Agreed.  I hadn't realised this was already being worked on, so I
>> haven't spec'd it in the wiki yet, but I think the recommended packages
>> should be returned in the normal packages list from /api/v1/search (so in
>> the top-level list for a raw JSON response, or in the
>> `["_embedded"​]["clickindex:package"]` list for HAL+JSON) and tagged
>> appropriately.
>>

> Not sure if this helps, but you could also have a custom rel for the
> recommended packages, so that you keep
>
> _embedded: clickindex:package for the standard package list and
> _embedded: clickindex:recommended for the recommendations

​Indeed.  I thought about this, then discarded it because my brain was
telling me that the recommendations are still package resources, so they
belong under clickindex:package - essentially, I was thinking of the rel as
a content type, instead of a relation type.  Considering it as a relation
type, I actually prefer the separation of matches from recommendations, but
I'll leave it up to the people who will have to parse the result ​to say
which is easier to work with!

Thanks, Ricardo!

JT
--
James Tait, BSc. | https://launchpad.net/~jamestait/
Software Engineer, Canonical Online Services