Re: Making frameworks definitions available through a webservice

On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 02:04:30PM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Martin Albisetti <
[..]
> > Separately, I don't think these chroots are aware of what's
> > deprecated, what's no longer supported, etc. Are they?
>
> We need to have the full history at hand to give developers sensible errors.
>

> That's a good point; so far, this information was only in the store and in
> the click reviewers tools; perhaps it ought to be preserved within the
> frameworks themselves, but that wont help much to discover which chroot to
> use for which framework. I wonder whether it would be ok to store this in
> click itself. Click was trying hard not to hardcode any specific
> relationships to frameworks, but I'm not sure where else to keep the
> central map of chroots/series -> frameworks. Perhaps a separate package is
> needed to keep this data, just like debootstrap or distro-info.
[..]

I probably wasn't around when these discussions happend so I may not
have the full info. But I also would like to see this information
centralized inside click (or a click-ubuntu-data package/branch). The
click chroot.py currently has some knowledge about chroots that we
problably want move to a frameworks data file. Along the way we could
add information of what is deprecated there too. I created a branch
to prepare click for this (lp:~mvo/click/frameworks.json).

Cheers,
 Michael