ubuntu-cyclists team mailing list archive

Re: OSS and Cycling

Interesting to hear the different accounts of Ubuntu cyclists so far!

I have a lowly "department store bike;" my wife and I purchased two bikes to
ride to the local cemetery in the mornings as we just lost our twin girls
two months ago. It's been incredible to get out on the streets in something
that's not a car, and zip around. It's interesting to see how cyclists are
treated differently from drivers in my area of northern California.

I previously spent a couple years riding a bike around Japan...I started out
with a nice Gary Fisher which was stolen within 2 months, and ended up on an
old cro-moly Giant which was given to me for free. The last day I was in
Japan, I got a call from the police - they had found my Gary Fisher. It was
two prefectures away, so I told them to give it to a local friend who could
use it.

I went to the hospital three times in Japan, each time because of a cycling
injury (we should start a thread about those). For my last accident, I had
an insurance agent pay for a loaner bike while mine was fixed - I ended up
on a bike with electronic auto-shifters. It was a pretty weird feeling,
riding that thing. As soon as you started to go faster, "clink" - it would
shift for you.

Anyway, I use Ubuntu as my day-to-day OS in my design business. Been using
it since about 2004, bought a Dell Ubuntu laptop in 2007, and I've been
happily working on it since. When I first used Linux in 1996, I thought,
"some day I will use this OS full time, it's too cool."

I hope to learn how to fix the many problems my cheap bike has, soon...wheel
out of true, loose crank arm, badly calibrated derailleurs, creaky seatpost,
etc...heh. I hate that it's not very reliable, but I have too many other
hobbies to spend money on. :-)

--
Marc Carson
Web Design and New Media Services