ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Developer Manual Sample App

On mer., 2010-06-02 at 08:05 -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
> > I'd suggest using gio for downloads, because that's async and won't
> > block the UI.
> > http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/03/15/download-files-async-with-gio-and-python/ is the answer here -- we should encourage people to do as much stuff as possible in an async way (maybe a wrapper library would be good here? http_download(url, callbackfunction) ? )
> >
> Ah yes. I think we should do that next in the chapter. Get going with
> just some quick code. "Oh! it's easy to do stuff on Ubuntu." Then, "oh,
> I can even make it async pretty easy".

I think this is the good direction for teaching:
1. little and pretty example (sync state)
2. showing what's the limitation
3. showing how easy is to fix the first occurrence to make it async

With that you just learn one thing at a time and don't have to think
about all cases at first iteration
(oh btw, isn't that just… programming? ;))

Didier