ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Book design

'allo.

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Rick Spencer <rick.spencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 14:12 -0600, Kevin Godby wrote:
>> Should we start discussing the design here or wait to hear back from
>> the Design Team?
> I would suggest *not* waiting to hear back from the design team.

Okay, I'll kick off the discussion with a bunch of questions.

1. Who is the target audience for this manual?

2. In what context will the manual be used?  Will folks read it from
cover to cover from front to back?  Will they use it for reference?
Will they look for specific how-to information to solve an immediate
task and then put the book away for a while?  Will they jump around in
the book as they're reading?

3. What style or tone should we aim for?  How formal or informal is the voice?

4. What elements make up the content?  My first impressions are that
there will be a number of code listings in this book. Aside from that,
are there other elements required that weren't used in the Ubuntu
Manual?

5. What are your plans regarding translations?  Which languages do you
intend to support?

--Kevin Godby