ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Book design

On 12/08/2010 10:06 PM, Kevin Godby wrote:

Okay, I'll kick off the discussion with a bunch of questions.

1. Who is the target audience for this manual?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/10.10/DeveloperManualOutline

Target Audience: This manual is aimed at people with development skills but who do not know the best way to build and release apps for the Ubuntu platform. The guide explains how to do opportunistic development on Ubuntu and will make opinionated choices, explaining the best practices for development on Ubuntu. It is not a reference book but rather an introduction to the high-value, best parts of the Ubuntu platform, such as quickly, desktopcouch, application indicators, and so on
2. In what context will the manual be used?  Will folks read it from
cover to cover from front to back?  Will they look for specific how-to information to solve an immediate
task and then put the book away for a while?  Will they jump around in
the book as they're reading?

Both. We discussed this at the kick off meeting and while we can recommend that people do a straight read through the first time, many will just want to go directly to one topic. Topics are independent of each other and meant to be stand alone except for the last "Putting it all together" chapter.
Will they use it for reference?
Quick reference only - it is not meant to be comprehensive and will point to developer.ubuntu.com and other web resources for those who want/need more.

3. What style or tone should we aim for?  How formal or informal is the voice?
Informal, similar to the Ubuntu Manual as we'll be basing off their Style Guide. I'm working on the Style Guide now with nissh.
4. What elements make up the content?  My first impressions are that
there will be a number of code listings in this book. Aside from that,
are there other elements required that weren't used in the Ubuntu
Manual?
I'm reviewing that now. Once I get the Style Guide updated I'll let you know if we need to add new elements.
5. What are your plans regarding translations?  Which languages do you
intend to support?
We definitely want it to be translation-friendly using LP and po files. Kyle N is helping out on that front. I'd imagine Latin-based languages first and then we can probably get some help on the cyrillic translations. I know the Romanian team did a great job of working out some issues for us on the desktop course.

thanks!

Belinda

--Kevin Godby

Education