ubuntu-fridge team mailing list archive

Re: Action Requested: Fridge LP mailing lists

Matthew East wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Joey Stanford <joey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've added more info to the /talk page.  Matthew E, I think the spec
 does need some refactoring.

 For example,  Lazerjock pointed out that "ubuntu-news-team" is a bad
 name for a list with the sole purpose of having stories sent to it
 (albeit not as bad as fridge-devel).

But that's not the sole purpose - according to the spec the list would
also be for discussion of any news related issues in the Ubuntu
community.

That's my understanding of the purpose of the list.

The basic point you and Jordan are making is that there should be a
separate list for discussion of Fridge-related issues than for
submissions of new stories. This goes right to the heart of the spec,
the whole point of which is that all these separate lists shouldn't be
necessary. The idea is that having different lists to discuss issues
for the fridge, the UWN, and news submissions is counterproductive,
because discussions on common issues should take place together.

The point I'm making is that we should have a single list focused on discussion of Ubuntu news submissions. The Launchpad list can be used for Fridge-specific discussion (i.e. theme improvements, getting event modules fixed, etc.). I personally am not interested in UWN development discussion (not that it's a big deal) and I would assume UWN people wouldn't care about how Fridge-specific development issues.

You mention on the talk page the use of the LP list. We've discussed
this before. My view is that it's inappropriate because (1) it
wouldn't be integrated with lists.ubuntu.com, and (2) it wouldn't be
possible for non-members to post to the mailing list. Both of these
are essential in my view, in order to make the news discussions more
open, transparent, and to attract more contributors who might not
necessarily yet be members of a particular team. Joey - as you know
we've established a policy for the Ubuntu community that it's not
recommended to use Launchpad lists (primarily for the two reasons
above), and I think that should be respected here too.

I'm am unaware of any such policy. When did that happen? Both 1) and 2) are trivial. For 1) you can list it on lists.ubuntu.com if you like and 2) is already done for a lot of lists.ubuntu.com lists anyway so I don't see why Launchpad would be shunned for this.

I don't think we're all that far from an agreement. The spec only has two items:
1) create common news list
2) move #ubuntu-fidge to #ubuntu-news

2 is already done and I think we just need to iron out what exactly we are trying to do with 1, although I think we pretty much all agree there, right?

-Jordan