ubuntu-l10n-hi team mailing list archive

Re: Guidelines for translations

Hi Friends,
Even I'm interested in Hindi translation of Ubuntu and have done some work
in the past,
Ashutosh Kumar Singh (akapribot@xxxxxxxxx), sent me this link of google
docs (don't know if everyone got it), this list is certainly not complete
but it can be a good starting point.

Here's the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar1X4YHkGJoydGNBcW5DcVlldS1yUTVVMDY1UHV6OXc

What I suggest is first let us start working on this file and once we reach
a consensus then we can save it off to a "Hindi Translation Guidelines
Wiki" which could be used in future not only for Translating Ubuntu but for
every Industrial strength application worldwide, I know this goal looks
very ambitious and provided the little spare time we all have in our busy
lives, this looks even more challenging but I'm willing to spare some
quality time from my busy schedule for this challenging work and hope the
same from all you friends out there.

Let us all make a goal that everyday we'll discuss the translation of two
words (of-course as the time goes by we can increase the pace of the work)
but as a starting point let us right now settle for two words per day and
on every weekend (may be on Sunday) we'll save the finalized translated
words into the Wiki. What do all friends have to say about this?

So Let's Get Started :)

So what should be today's words, I suggest let us discuss "click" and
"pointer" the starting two words in the list.

*My suggestions:*

*Click* - *Click*, it is basically not a word but a "sound", the sound
which comes when we press the mouse button, so IMHO it should be kept as it
is because in Hindi, English or any language the pronunciation of a "sound"
should be same.

*Pointer* - *दिशा सूचक*, I think the best translation should be दिशा
सूचक, which
can very well convey not only the meaning but the purpose of the pointer.

As a rule of thumb I believe the best translated word should be the one
which can very well convey the meaning as well as the purpose of the entity.

I hope this healthy discussion goes on like this :)

Suggestions and Constructive Criticism Invited.

धन्यवाद,
--
Neeraj Semwal
Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal