Re: Not happy at all

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 09:48:11AM +0100, lafeber-dumoleyn2 wrote:
> Op 22-12-10 21:35, Khaled Hosny schreef:
> >On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 06:51:15PM +0100, Ask Hjorth Larsen wrote:
> >>My opinion on what we need technically:
> >>
> >>Fuzzy matching and a word-wise po-file diffing utility.
> >Lunchpad developers seem not to think that translators effort and
> >resources is worthy saving, this is not the first time this issue is
> >brought up. All what I got last time was some, more time consuming,
> >workarounds, so I just gave up; I only start translating just before the
> >translation deadline even if it means some translations might not make
> >it into the release, as I value my, very limited, time and resources.
> >
> >Regards,
> >  Khaled
> >
> Hello Khaled,
> I think what you say here is unfair towards all those people who
> work very hard behind the scenes.
> We should show some respect.

I don't think criticizing developers for failing to address what I (and
others as it seems) consider a critical issue is showing disrespect.

Just because we are volunteers (though I don't think launchpad
developers are) does not put us above criticism. If someone does not
like my criticism he can just ignore it, if receiving such criticism
feels so bad to him he can as well stop doing that work and move to
something else that he don't receive criticism for (I often do myself).

In the other hand, I may feel that forcing me to use an inefficient tool
that wasts my time is not showing respect to my volunteer work (that
Canonical also forced me to license under a week copyleft license so
they can use it in commercial projects I don't know about, something I
would not have done if I had more choice). Remind you, I'm not
interested in Launchpad or Rosetta or whatever, my only interest is to
translate a distribution that I use.

Regards,
 Khaled

--