Re: Upstream vs packaged texlive

Patrick,

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013, at 04:22 AM, Patrick Dickey wrote:

> Well the nice thing about all of this is, if you create the script for
> the lubuntu manual, and the packaged version of texlive works for
> compiling the ubuntu-manual, then it would be minor changes to make
> your script work for ubuntu as well.

Other way around.  It now works for Ubuntu Manual in either Lubuntu
or Ubuntu.  I only just created an (empty) bzr branch for the
proposed lubuntu manual, so there is no script that sets things up
for working that yet :)

> I have a script (if you search the archives) that runs through the
> entire process also.

Interesting... why wasn't it promoted on the web pages of ubuntu-
manual.org as the easy way to get started in the project?  I had no idea
I was re-inventing the wheel here!

> Of course on the flip side of that coin, your script might work better
> than mine (even for people installing the upstream version). So, I'd
> be interested in seeing your script as well.

It's checked in to the Ubuntu Manual repository in the pkgs/
subdirectory.  Update your local branch and you will see it.  Take a
look :)

> In the interest of full disclosure, I do my writing for the Ubuntu
> Manual on a Lubuntu desktop, and create my screenshots or whatever on
> my laptop--which runs whatever version of ubuntu we're writing for.
> So, I can tell you that the instructions on the site do work for
> Lubuntu users as well as Ubuntu users.

Sure.  But they are longer than I'd like, and use unpackaged software so
users need to know and remember a "special" way to update that software,
which in practice many will forget.

I plan to test creation of each translated manual using the packaged
texlive in Raring.  If that works, I'll advocate strongly for the
ubuntu-
manual.org site being changed to document using those packages rather
than the upstream unpackaged texlive.

Jonathan
--
  Jonathan Marsden