Re: Addressing the lack of Trademark License for YouTube, Twitter and Facebook Core Apps

hi,
On Fr, 2013-03-22 at 17:52 -0700, Robert Bruce Park wrote:
> > > Yeah, pretty much. But now that Twitter Core App is cancelled, we will
> >
> > Why was it cancelled? (Some had tried to assure that a deal was previously
> > reached). I thought Ubuntu Phone had to have major apps like this to
> > succeed?
>
> I hadn't heard anything about a deal being reached. All I had heard
> about was negotiations. And the result of those negotiations is that
> Twitter won't allow us to use their trademarks on a native app.
>
> In my earlier emails, I expressed concern that not having the apps
> would cause the Ubuntu platform to fail. That's still true, but the
> Twitter app that we are going to have is going to be a browser
> pointed at m.twitter.com. So when users look for "the Twitter app",
> they'll find it, and it won't be a big deal. My concern was that there
> would be nothing for them to find, but that is not the case.

well, initially the thread started about the icons being used in the
preview for which apparently a deal was reached else they wouldn't have
been shown ... the answer also indicated there there were more
negotiations going on ... there was as well a mail from Alan saying
"we're on it"  ...

despite these answers the OP pushed the thread forward ...

if i was involved in such negotiations as a company and would see such a
thread on a public ML i would probably also re-consider giving any
approval ...

if there are apps being developed which have pointers to their future
function in the package/branch name but are not included anywhere yet
(and surely wouldn't be until there is formal approval), there is no
trademark in the play anywhere yet ... the app could have been the best
twitter client ever and if twitter would not have finalized the
negotiations or denied the use of the trademark by then it could have
been called something like "twoober" and have a hen as icon instead of a
sparrow ... this opportunity is now gone due to a pointless noisy
trademark discussion...

as i see it what we will finally have as official app will be the same
as FirefoxOS which isn't necessarily a bad thing but we could have done
so much better if there was some trust that Canonical is backing this
with the right actions even though they are not necessarily always
visible in public this would have helped a lot ...

(yes i'm very grumpy about missing such an awesome opportunity and no
i'm not talking on behalf of anyone except myself as a community member,
even though i'm employed at Canonical ... and no, i don't even know
remotely how far any negotiations have gone by now, but i at least trust
people when telling me there is something going on, it would help if we
all did that a bit more IMHO)

ciao
	oli