Re: Should we remove cdimage-[touch,legacy]?

On 11/04/2013 11:40 AM, Cláudio Sampaio wrote:
The "Magic" of open-source is that I can use the device as I can see
fit. And I want to use it as regular Ubuntu, installing and deinstalling
as I see fit and with root access. Via ssh if needed. Do I have to
abdicate from it? Ubuntu Touch is of no value to me if I cannot use it
as a real system - to me it seems a locked-down system with read-only
root partition is not a real system.

It is a real system, though, and the way most embedded devices work.

You can do exactly what you mentioned if you want, but you can't expect other people to go out of their way to support it. In order to have a working stable system on a cell phone with limited developer manpower, the system is designed to be locked so that updates are fast and dependable. This means that updates can be very carefully tested under controlled conditions. This is important because the average user just wants a phone, and can't recover a non-bootable system with command line tools. Remember, the goal is to sell phones with Ubuntu running on them in the store, not to make users flash their existing phones.

If you are an advanced user who wants to modify the OS as you see fit, then run 'touch /userdata/.writable_image' on the system, reboot, and do anything you like. But don't complain that there's an "advanced" switch on the phone and you have to flick it. It's better to be happy that you will be able to recommend the system to your friends and know that they won't be able to break it, and meanwhile anyone who wants to change things can do so easily.

Regards,
Nathan

--
Nathan Haines