Re: [Design] New back button placement, are we serious ?!?

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 25.03.2014, 22:21 +0200 schrieb Alberto Mardegan:

> If I understood design's plans correctly, the reason for this move is
> that we want to free the bottom edge and make it completely available
> to application developers.
> While that's indeed a good idea, I agree with you that the new
> suggested location for the back button is quite inconvenient. I wonder
> if we can come up to some gesture to trigger the "back" action?

system gestures have the issue that they interfere with application
gestures ... I tend to scroll my websites at the very right edge for
example and often have the case that I'm to far right with my thumb (the
rounded display edge of the N4 encourages that) so that the application
switcher gesture overrides my scroll action (this does not happen very
often, but often enough that I noticed it and try to scroll a few pixels
left of it nowadays)

> Just brainstorming: what if sliding left from the lower part of the
> right edge triggered the "back" action?
> OTOH, having such hard to discover gestures is what some people
> dislike about Sailfish OS, so I'm not sure we want to go down the same
> route here.
yes, I tried sailfish and found the same, depening on obscure gestures
is probably even worse than the current situation ..

ciao
	oli