Re: [Design] New back button placement, are we serious ?!?

Getting back to the original top v bottom navigation:

I would like to express my complete agreement with Riccardo and Oli (and
others).

The back button is used extremely frequently. It was simply placed where it
can be accessed the easiest. I would keep it there. (That doesn't diminish
the usefulness of the new top-side-navigation though)

What's more: I would very much like to see us go back to the initial design
where the bottom toolbar stays suppressed until it is activated by the
user. Showing it for a couple of seconds on every app launch, is for me as
annoying as any pop-up on any annoying website. It is not like I need
reminding every time I use an app that it is there, every day again. And it
goes counter the essence of what Ubuntu (with Unity) has always strived to
do (especially on Touch): Get stuff out of the way that you don't need
until you need it. I loved it when an app launched totally cleanly. And I
know from irc discusions that many feel the same.

I have heard the argument before for showing the bottom menu at app start
before. Alex restated it above:

 >It's also unpleasant watching newcomers walk up to a booth at MWC and
>struggle to discover basic usability aspects of the phone, like how to
>navigate back.

I really hope that people at the canonical booth of MWC are not taken as an
honest representation of people who will eventually buy an Ubuntu phone.

The entire validation for popping up the bottom menu every time, rests on
the assumption that ppl will not even take 3 secs to grasp the concept of
swiping-up for app feautures (including the back-button) when they
knowingly start using a phone with a new OS. If that were true, I feel we
might be better off just copying the UI of an android phone.

 My two cents! (we'll get rich yet on this discussion:) )

 Mat