Re: [Design] New back button placement, are we serious ?!?

On 03/26/2014 09:49 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:>>
>> Is this "swipe all the way to the right" intended to be the way to reveal a
>> list of installed applications to launch on the converged desktop, the one
>> running on a large high-DPI monitor with only a trackpad for input, or will
>> the converged Ubuntu simply change to a desktop-oriented UI the Microsoft's
>> celebrated Windows 8 so successfully does?
>
> I don't think this gesture will be used on anything else than touch screens,
> but instead the home button will work just like it does currently on the
> Desktop (elevating the scopes above the application window). I didn't have any
> particular talks with design about this, so bear with me if my intuition is
> wrong.

So you're not proposing to replace the Home button with the Back button so much as move the Home button to the top of
the Launcher and add a Back button at the bottom?  It's a good idea: a lot of very vocal desktop users will be pleased
by not having to change their habits when the time comes.

Also, most of my laptops have touchscreens, and it is my experience you tend to use gestures when they're available
because it just makes more sense (try using a non-touch system after a while a see how frustrating it is to have buttons
drawn on the screen that do nothing but leave smudges when you press them).  Don't assume users of a converged Ubuntu on
the desktop will still be living in the 20th century.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>