Re: Customized Upstart Jobs/Overrides

hi,
Am Samstag, den 03.05.2014, 11:55 +0200 schrieb Martin Pitt:
> Oliver Grawert [2014-05-03 11:35 +0200]:
> However, I don't think you can get very far with *not* giving write
> access to customizers. There's hardly anything to customize then.
> Also, why would someone who wants to build a custom image start from
> our default Ubuntu one instead of building one for himself with
> whichever customizations?

i surely hope carriers don't start to roll their own images, then we
have failed miserably :)
the customization kit is exactly for the purpose that everyone uses the
same base image, has reliably the same bugs etc and can only customize
what we allow. if a carrier would start to roll a complete own image
they would be on their own anyway.
the main purpose of the customization kit is to avoid fragmentation by
having people modify the underlying system.

the point is how we control what can be customized via the kit ...
allowing init system overrides seems gross while allowing to change a
switch in a handfull of /etc/default files (or any other config
mechanism that allows this without full write access to the whole init
system) seems a lot easier to control for us.

ciao
	oli