Re: Customized Upstart Jobs/Overrides

Oliver Grawert [2014-05-03 11:35 +0200]:
> and yet you use it in apport for enabling/disabling the service ?

We actually don't any more. The file never changes any more (in the
distro), it's just there for historical reasons. default files were
the standard way to disable/re-enable services in the old pre-LSB
header SysV init world, where everything else was too brittle and
complicated. These days that isn't true any more, even with sysvinit
(as the scripts are self-contained thanks to the LSB headers).

> but that means giving the customizer direct access to the init system
> configuration again, which i thought we wanted to avoid ... (and it will
> also be very painful to make sure this works on our readonly setup)

It doesn't matter that much if we make /etc/default/ or some
/etc/init/override/ or /etc/systemd/system/ writable, they all fulfill
a pretty comparable purpose. Except that the latter two have a
standardized format and thus can be controlled with update-rc.d
instead of having to understand each individual default file and
editing/sed'ing it manually.

However, I don't think you can get very far with *not* giving write
access to customizers. There's hardly anything to customize then.
Also, why would someone who wants to build a custom image start from
our default Ubuntu one instead of building one for himself with
whichever customizations?

Thanks,

Martin