Re: rndis networking

El día Thursday, May 14, 2015 a las 02:31:40PM +0200, Ed Kapitein escribió:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> Thanks for your help!

Hi Ed,

> I will reply inline and might seem rude with my questions, but that is
> to get to the real reasons, nothing personal, as you know.

Ofcourse, reply inline (or below) is the correct way to redact un mail.
I'm tired of all that top-posting here (and elsewhere).

> > The IP addr 10.42.0.1 is set in the rndis0 when the interface comes up
> Where is it set? some config file? i can't seem to find it.

I do not know, but I'm not an Ubuntu expert.

> > other way around. The IP on your side will be 10.41.0.19.
> Why? where is it configured that my ip is 10.41.0.19?

I see some proc:

root@ubuntu-phablet:/etc# ps ax | fgrep dhc
 4266 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq --conf-file --no-hosts
--keep-in-foreground --bind-interfaces --except-interface=lo
--clear-on-reload --strict-order --listen-address=10.42.0.1
--dhcp-range=10.42.0.10,10.42.0.100,60m
--dhcp-option=option:router,10.42.0.1 --dhcp-lease-max=50
--pid-file=/var/run/nm-dnsmasq-rndis0.pid

but do not know from where the values come from;

> > Why do you want to connect the phone through the Internet using your PC
> > as gateway. I'm confused :-)
>
> Believe it or not, but i am using my phone as a workstation, using X to
> login to the desktop.
> And having a low latency connection between the X server ( notebook, PC
> )
> is important if you use X.

For this it would be enough to have both interfaces up with IP 10.42.0.1 -- 10.42.0.19.
This does not explain why you want route IP from your phone to Internet
through your PC.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, guru@xxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211    +49-176-38902045
"Wenn der Mensch von den Umständen gebildet wird, so muß man die Umstände menschlich bilden."