Re: Prevent app from closing by swaping up/down

Hi,

I thought app loading time is "unfixable" it takes time to load stuff, end of story. I also thought that other phones load dialler faster because they don't actually close it in the first place.
Kind of, but it is always possible to optimize those bottlenecks. The app always needs to load stuff but that does not mean we can't make that better. Not sure about if other platforms have the dialer app always in memory. But for example Android always has a preloaded skeleton application (Zygote) that has the system libraries already loaded (in our case the ui toolkit for example) and then just needs to load the app specific parts to "become" the application. This is one direction we currently
investigate.

Another possibility is to make the loading process better. By making sure the libraries / qml components load faster. This is the other direction we are also looking into.

So until we have not gone through all possibilties we should not introduce solutions like preloading full applications.

Cheers,

Benjamin

I am not a coder, but adding option to white-list apps (so everyone can choose set of favourite apps to white-list) seems like a good idea. It looks similar to scopes - you select scopes that you always want accessible.

On top of that - app developers could make some special "white-list compatibility mode" that keep certain qualities of apps readily available while muting others - less important.

The function should be optional for sure. Yes as default setting would be good for general public. Also when you set it as "yes" you should be allowed to choose the app to be "invisible" in apps preview (to avoid clutter), so when I want to kill browser I don't have to scroll through dialler, texts, scopes, music and contacts before I get to browser. Or at least keep those "yes" apps at the end of the queue. Or swipe from the right edge twice to get a chance to close those "yes" apps (quite intuitive because the first swipe would open normal apps, and the second swipe from same edge would let you edit "privileged" apps).

It's nice to see other people interested in the topic - thank you for all the comments,
Chris