Re: Prevent app from closing by swaping up/down

On Τρίτη, 4 Αυγούστου 2015 12:40:54 Π.Μ. EEST, Chris wrote:

On 03/08/15 12:36, Niklas Wenzel wrote:
That's how I see it as well. We shouldn't tell users how they have to use their phones.

Am Montag, 3. August 2015 schrieb Benjamin Zeller :
> Am 03.08.2015 um 11:21 schrieb Oliver Grawert:
>>
>> hi,
>> Am Montag, den 03.08.2015, 02:59 +0300 schrieb nikos chatziioakimidis:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> A smartphone is still a phone. Making phone calls is the most important
>>> part of it (at least to the majority of people i know).
>>>
>>> I never close the dialer app anyway. So i would like to have "always
>>> running" as an option (with yes as the default).
>>>
>> how about instead of breaking the app lifecycle setup, we fix it so that
>> the apps start instantly instead of weakening the system design by
>> providing white and blacklists. sooner or later everyone wants his
>> favorite apps excluded from the lifecycle and we are as vulnerable,
>> memory and power hungry as android.
>
> +1 to that, we are already working on app startup time and investigate different
> ways to get a better experience here.
>
> Cheers
>
> Benjamin
>>
>> lets rather fix the actual problem instead of fiddling around with the
>> symptoms.
>>
>> ciao
>>         oli

Hi,

I thought app loading time is "unfixable" it takes time to load stuff, end of story. I also thought that other phones load dialler faster because they don't actually close it in the first place.

I am not a coder, but adding option to white-list apps (so everyone can choose set of favourite apps to white-list) seems like a good idea. It looks similar to scopes - you select scopes that you always want accessible.

On top of that - app developers could make some special "white-list compatibility mode" that keep certain qualities of apps readily available while muting others - less important.

The function should be optional for sure. Yes as default setting would be good for general public. Also when you set it as "yes" you should be allowed to choose the app to be "invisible" in apps preview (to avoid clutter), so when I want to kill browser I don't have to scroll through dialler, texts, scopes, music and contacts before I get to browser. Or at least keep those "yes" apps at the end of the queue. Or swipe from the right edge twice to get a chance to close those "yes" apps (quite intuitive because the first swipe would open normal apps, and the second swipe from same edge would let you edit "privileged" apps).

It's nice to see other people interested in the topic - thank you for all the comments,
Chris

The real problem here is apps not loading fast enough. What you are suggesting (and i did) is a workaround but from what i understood from Oliver it causes other problems. So i think we should give time to devs to solve the real issue here (if you follow the list you would be aware that they are looking at it)

--
Sent using Dekko from my Ubuntu device