Re: Web browser tabs turn white

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Dominik Wnęk <dominik@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dnia 10 sie 2015 o godz. 13:21 Olivier Tilloy <olivier.tilloy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał(a):
>
>>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> hi,

>>> well, it is definitely the same result, the renderer dies and doesn't
>>> tear the UI down with it (or notify the UI to enable it to show a
>>> message to you or some such)
>>>
>>> it might be a different cause from ram issues if you really only have
>>> that one tab and only the browser as only app open though (i.e. the
>>> lifecycle management and memory management wouldn't be involved in this)
>>>
>>> so in that light it perhaps makes sense to file a new bug since the
>>> renderer might have died because of other reasons ...
>>
>> If the renderer was killed by the system, then that’s a memory
>> consumption issue (already tracked by e.g.
>> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1478853). If the renderer crashed, then
>> that’s a different issue indeed. Can you reproduce the situation
>> reliably on one given page, or does it happen at random?
>>

> Hi,
>
> It happens on various websites I visit, like eurogamer.net or gamingonlinux.com. There are usually other apps running, though (meaning: the phone's been up for a while) and it looks like it's closing them, because they take their time to load when switching away from the browser.
>
> Anyway, I just did a little test: I rebooted the phone and started reading eurogamer. Within 3 minutes I got the white screen, while loading comments to an article on the front page. Is there a way I can tell what the reason for the disappearing renderer was?
>
> They have a mechanism on the comments page which loads in new comments at the bottom after reaching a certain point down the page; I've had it go white a couple of times while it was doing that. Also, it can occur while I'm just quickly scrolling through a lot of comments.

I just tested the eurogamer case on my BQ Aquaris E4.5, loaded a few
articles and their associated comments (I targetted articles with 150+
comments), washed rinsed and repeated during 10min, and I didn’t get
the dreaded blank page.

My device is on rc-proposed (image #100), so many components changed
since the latest stable release of OTA5. This image from rc-proposed
will soon become OTA6. Let’s see if that update makes things better
for you.