Re: It's possible to install Skype (app, not web app) in Ubuntu Touch?

On Tue, 2015-09-15 at 16:35 +0200, Marco Alexander Harrendorf wrote:
> I could be wrong, however, the major problem is at the moment that the
> microphone, webcam and so on of the Ubuntu phone cannot be accessed by
> X11 applications.
> E.g. the Chromium ARM package is compiled with WebRTC support, so that
> it could be directly be used for VOIP chats. However, since the
> microphone cannot be accessed this functionality is useless and I
> guess that this would be true for all other ARM packages. Meaning even
> if Skype would provide an ARM package we could not use it at the
> moment on Ubuntu phone.

If Microsoft were to provide a Skype that works for Ubuntu phones, it
would be in their best interest to provide a version which is designed
to work on phones, in the same way that the Skype client on iOS is not
the same as the Skype provided for MacOS. Instead, they should provide a
Skype client package following the rules of confinement on Ubuntu, and
also with an interface suitable for use on a phone, which could work on
a tablet or traditional PC as well.

Even if MS did provide a Skype package built for ARM and it was
unconfined with access to the mic and whatever else, the current Skype
client is not well suited for use on a phone, so it would be difficult
to use anyway. The best solution would be to provide a quality build
that follows the confinement rules and isn't a legacy X11 application
that requires you to plug in a keyboard/mouse/display to use it.