Re: ubuntu one

> > > Note of course, that Google contacts/calendar sync is already on
> > > the
> > > phone, and has been for a very long time now, so if Google is an
> > > acceptable place for storing those things, it can be used (with
> > > some
> > > small caveats, as it seems only default contacts/calendar are
> > > synced,
> > > so alternate/subscribed calendars on Google don't get seem to be
> > > exposed).
> > working on the assumption that people are using Google to run all
> > their
> > stuff means that the phone is competing head to head with Android on
> > Google's playing field. It isn't necessarily wrong to support those
> > users, and yes, they might be a numerically large target, however
> > there
> > is a wide open opportunity to change the rules of the game and go a
> > different way.
>
> It's not an assumption. Sure, there will be a few who have never used
> Android and don't use Google at all, who buy an Ubuntu phone. But most
> are migrating from Android. Google is also a complete service, for
> which most all of the necessary code already existed, so it required
> very little design and engineering work, and was included from the
> beginning.

I see it differently. If you're 100% happy with Android or iOS you probably
stick to that: it works for you and you already have it. Why spend time and
money on another device?
While I agree that maybe most of UP users are migrating *from* Android, I
also believe there's a reason for them to do so. Maybe they're looking for
more integration with their desktops, maybe they think google is evil,
maybe they're looking for something fresher, I'm sure there will be a
million reasons. And whlie google services might be a good starting point,
I get the impression that most of the UP clients (those who bought a
phone/tablet, I mean, not who received to work with it) would be happier
with google independent solutions (just *my* impression though).

--

Julia