Re: [tablet] M10: how to enable alternative keyboard layout

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 10:30 PM, Matthias Apitz <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> out-of-the
> > > box.
> > >
> > > Hmm, I must have missed such a "basic" functionality in the last 30
> years
> > > of using computer keyboards. I never did this (changing layout on the
> > > flight) on any UNIX desktop.
> > >

> > You are kidding me.
>
> No, I'm not. And I used a lot of UNIX systems and typing actually this
> chars on FreeBSD: I never switched on the flight the layout. I only
> configured it once and used it. Sorry. What I do expect is/was be able
> to use chars which are not on my physical keyboard (like the Spanish ñ,
> or the chars ¿¿¿¿ and ¡¡¡) with the help of some modfier key.

I see. So you need to be able to input a few extra "accents" and using
modifier key (switching on the fly how actual key-presses are interpreted
by a system) looks and feels OK. For Russian you need 33 extra symbols of
alphabet, overlay-ed over standard keyboard, modifier key just does not
really fly in this case. I am used to keyboard layout switchers and I
actually can switch to Cyrillic with a key combo (here is an example: и
напечатать несколько слов; translation: and type in a few words). Different
languages, different implementations, different views on what is "basic"
functionality in terms of user experience and usability ;)

Cheers,
Alexey