ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: Some basic ideas for Ubuntu TV.

Den 28. nov. 2011 22:41, skrev Ian Santopietro:
There are more reasons why I want to have different users. For instance, you>  should be able to pause whatever it is you're playing, go away, let others>  use the TV, and when you come back, you just press play.
That is a good point, but there are better ways of managing content
other than logging in to your TV.

You can manage pause and resume through an Ubuntu One Sync (Sync video
and playback position to the cloud, and retrieve it when you're
ready). This can all be controlled through the device you "attach" to
the TV for your session.

For extending the use of small screen devices like netbooks and
tablets, what about providing a simple VNC-like virtual desktop app?
It's unlikely you'll want to browse the internet and watch TV at the
same time, and even if you do, PiP is a better way to do that.

Why would I want to use VNC when I can use it directly instead? Playing a game over VNC is ... not good. Using Synergy, though, you can play as heavy games as you like.

The point is, having a very large screen any not being able to do anything with it, is a very big waste. It will be easier to sell this if you can use it for something. An accountant can suddenly work on spreadsheets with a netbook, for instance. And the kids can use it for video games without any extra equipment.

I don't understand why it would be valuable to limit the use to watching video. It's a big screen with a computer. Optimize for video, but don't make it impossible to use it as an extra computer.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad