Re: Notifications are annoying when typing in the upper right corner of a window

Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 01/06/2009 alle 21.59 +0200, Mark Shuttleworth ha
> scritto:
>
>> That sounds very useful - both dropdowns and menus have "brittle
>> state", it's hard to recover from a slip except by reproducing the
>> actions that setup that point in the interaction. I'd be +1 on
>> deferring, at least for a few seconds, async notification display
>> under those circumstances in notify-osd.
>>

> Excuse me for being naive, but what about delaying notifications until
> the keyboard and mouse are inactive (with a short timeout maybe)? Even
> better, when X reports any input activity!
>
> After all, nobody is going to type or move the mouse constantly, and
> certainly if I am typing or moving the mouse I doing something, and I
> don't want to move my eyes from where I am looking at.
>
> Also notice that less advanced users look at the keyboard while typing,
> hence they might completely miss notifications.

That's also a good suggestion for an extended context awareness module,
an embryo of which already lives in dnd.c

We were considering that for the initial release, but didn't have a
ready-to-use solution for implementing the feature. Now, we've found
some clever tricks with X to monitor inputs.

I'm also very interested in Celeste's suggestion of having a monitor,
similar to what kwin does, to delay the display of notifications.

Aurélien: could you take a look at this last one?

David