Re: Updates on Login

2009/6/17 David Siegel <david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I think it would be interesting if the user must wait at GDM for updates to
> finish (assuming they were downloaded previously), and is only allowed to
> log in when updates have finished. This process only takes a minute or two,
> and the user can choose to not initiate the updates or cancel them and log
> in at any point.
>
> David

Are you kidding?

Wouldn't it be much more reasonable to do this at shutdown (or logout for
users that don't shutdown). When I login, I want to my stuff. When I logout
I am saying: "I'm done for know". Imagine that you are leaving home, a
little late, and decide to look for a map in google maps. Wife and kids are
already in the car. The you scream from the office "Dear, will have to wait
for five minutes more because Ubuntu is forcing me to update now!"

Actually the whole concept of updates at login sounds very weird to me, for
exact the same reason I described above. I can leave home while the computer
is udpating itself (and shutting down)...

Paulo