Re: Updates on Login

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Paulo J. S. Silva <pjssilva@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Are you kidding?
>
> Wouldn't it be much more reasonable to do this at shutdown (or logout for
> users that don't shutdown). When I login, I want to my stuff. When I logout
> I am saying: "I'm done for know".

When I'm finished work, I'm in a much bigger hurry than when I'm arriving. I
want to go home, see my friends, and have fun. I don't want to wait for the
computer to update. When I'm logging in however, MOST of the time I'm about
to do work for a while, so I have time to sit and wait for updates.

> Imagine that you are leaving home, a little late, and decide to look for a
> map in google maps. Wife and kids are already in the car. The you scream
> from the office "Dear, will have to wait for five minutes more because
> Ubuntu is forcing me to update now!"

There's a big issue with reading on this list. If you read what David and I
both said, you're not forced to update. You have to tell it to update.

--
--Alex Launi