Re: What most people would find useful (was: Re: Updates on Login )

Il giorno gio, 18/06/2009 alle 18.25 -0400, Scott Kitterman ha scritto:
> These would also probably need some
> additional QA to reduce the risk for users installing the update with
> no
> chance to consider if it would be a good update for them.

I will trust no human on that :)

If you have a way to prove that I can get rid of an unwanted side effect
it's ok. E.g: just find a way (unionfs??) to install the upgrades *and*
allow me to boot a system *without* them.

It may be difficult or easy but provable safety is the only way to go.
For security upgrades, that do not typically induce file format change
(like e.g. major updates of evolution), using an unionfs with the
updates seems viable. That'd open the way to automatic security upgrades
and stop the whole thing.

For bug fixes, it may even be "every six months". That way, perhaps, it
would not become an option to release things broken.

Vincenzo