Re: Updates on Login

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 20:46:19 -0400 Joshua Blount <joshua@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>On 07/06/2009 08:21 PM, David Siegel wrote:
>>

>> Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

>>> 's a fair point.
>>
>> Also, as there is no user state before login, we can reboot the
>> machine without user confirmation. With fast-boot and KMS, we
>> completely remove the pain from rebooting after updates -- in fact,
>> the user probably won't even notice the reboot (we should suppress
>> startup sounds on the reboot).
>>

>This is a really good point. We would do well to remember that users
>don't get frustrated simply at rebooting, their frustration is delaying
>their ability to *use* their desktop. Time and the appearance of more
>time is the source of the problem with rebooting, not the fact that a
>machine needs to cycle due to a kernel update or whatever.

On the other hand, fast boot is an explicit Ubuntu design goal for a
variety of reasons including users typically start their computers because
they want to use them.

Before getting too set on installing updates at boot, I'd suggest some
discussion with the people on the Ubuntu foundations team working on faster
boot speed.

Scott K