Re: Question about Bug Reporting Tools in Ubuntu, from a design perspective...

On Thu Oct 08 12:06:56 +0100 2009 Natan Yellin wrote:
> What about making Launchpad an OpenID consumer (
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-identity-provider/+bug/210943) and
> providing a "Login using a Gmail account" button. (Because many people don't
> realize that Gmail is an OpenID provider.)

That still gets them an account on LP, just without specific
login credentials. It would work, but it's harder to avoid the browser when
doing this. You would been to show the login page of the provider.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that one tenet
of OAuth (as used in the LP API), is that the user uses their "trusted
browser" to log in to the service, so that each application is not
essentially phishing. Some people see this as a weak assurance,
but a choice to "phish" should be understood.

Thanks,

James