Re: Question about Bug Reporting Tools in Ubuntu, from a design perspective...

> All of the workflow should happen inside one, morphing window. Instead of
> popping up multiple sequential dialog boxes, just keep it in one smooth
> flow.

I love that,  much smoother, with less clutter.  It also commits a user to
the process, verses he or she cancelling because this is taking too long.

-1 to a preference, just ask for it when people first need it, and remember
> it from then. This will be the U1 account in any event, the user may well be
> signed into U1 already.

While I completely agree that it should be prompted and remembered, I would
think that Launchpad's integration into the desktop would require some way
of making changes, and selecting some preferences as to what you want your
Launchpad account to be used for:  U1, bugs, communications, etc..  ( I
haven't played with U1 in Karmic though, so perhaps this is redundant?)
Thinking about this more, a user's keychain would be fine, so I see your
point.

> > Must people have credentials to report a bug on Launchpad? I know that
> when
> > I need to create an account for something, I start to reconsider whether
> > really want to do whatever I'm doing or not.
>
> We want to be able to ask them questions or check with them that the bug
>> is fixed. There is an implicit contract in reporting a bug that you
>> will responsive to those that try and fix it. If there is no LP account
>> then there is no way for us to contact them.
>>
>> It would be possible to have a parallel service that just received the
>> crash
>> reports and reported the most common crashers and the like, but I'm not
>> sure there's really a need for that from a developer perspective, unless
>> we were to shift a lot of reporters to use this rather than bugs. (Though
>> I'm personally not keen on that anyway).

I believe that most Ubuntu users that are going to submit those bug reports
in the first place would essentially have little to no problem with setting
up a Launchpad account.  Furthermore, I believe that if U1 utilizes one's
Launchpad account, could this be something that is setup on 1st login by a
user?

There is a fine line between annoying the hell out of a user on first boot
and making them feel that there is a complete, neatly wrapped package for
them, waiting to be opened with 1st login to their new desktop.

Make it cool, give them something for free.  How about on first login: "In
order to make the Ubuntu experience complete, we'd like to offer you 2 gigs
of online storage.  This storage can be accessed from any Ubuntu machine,
and is completely free.  May we sign you up?
User clicks yes.  Bingo.  Create a Launchpad account OR utilize existing
Open ID, Login information stored.  Seamless bug submissions on the horizon
:)

-Anthony